Brussel slaw + Buckwheat Croutons
03 Jun 2019
By Naturopath & Nutritionist Freya
The perfect seasonal dish to enjoy before the Winter chill sets in. Brussel sprouts are a wonderful liver loving vegetable, enhancing our detoxification capacity which is much needed as we begin to slow down in these cooler months. Borlotti beans add a wonderful protein kick to ensure our blood sugar levels are balanced and energy levels are consistent.
- 250g buckwheat bread, torn into 2 cm chunks
- 1–2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 500g brussels sprouts
- 500g cooked borlotti beans (or any other legume), drained
- 1/2 small red onion, finely sliced
- Big handful flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- Handful basil leaves, roughly torn
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, toasted
- 1/4 cup shaved parmesan (optional)
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, unpeeled,
- 1/2 cup whole egg (free range) mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon salted capers, rinsed and chopped
- juice of 1/2 – 1 lemon
- sea salt and black pepper
Preheat the oven to 200ºC
Coat the bread in 1–2 tablespoons of olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Spread over a large baking tray in a single layer and bake in the oven until golden, about 15 minutes, turning every now and then to make sure the croutons are evenly browned and crisp on all sides. Cool.
While the croutons are baking, make the caesar dressing. Add the unpeeled garlic cloves to the oven and cook for 20–25 minutes until they are very soft. Remove from the oven and peel off the skins, then mash with a fork and mix it together with the mayonnaise, capers, lemon juice and 3–4 teaspoons of water. Season to taste with salt and pepper and (Add more garlic if you prefer!)
Using a mandoline or the grater attachment on the food processor, very finely slice the brussels sprouts.
Combine the sliced brussel sprouts with the borlotti beans, red onion, herbs and half the sunflower seeds. Add the caesar dressing, season with salt and pepper and mix everything well. Leave the salad to sit for 15–20 minutes to allow the brussel sprouts.To serve, fold through the croutons and sprinkle over the parmesan shavings and remaining sunflower seeds.
Do you need more guidance on your wellness journey?
Book an appointment with one of our practitioners here