Freya’s top 5 tips for supporting immunity through Winter
18 Jun 2019
By Freya Lawler, Naturopath & Nutritionist
With lots of nasty bugs circulating through the colder months, it’s so important to take care of your immune system during Winter! Freya gives us her top 5 immunity tips below to help avoid the dreaded cold or flu this season.
- Sleep – Ensure you’re getting adequate sleep (7-8hrs). Research has shown that less than 6 hours sleep in one night can reduce our Natural killer cell count (which are a critical component of our immune defence system) by 70%.
- Optimise your gut function – Given 70% of our immune system lies in our gut, having a well functioning digestive system is essential for maintaining a healthy immune system. Apple cider vinegar, daily bone broths, fermented foods and prebiotic foods all contribute to a healthy digestive system. Pre and probiotic supplementation may be required with the advice of a practitioner!
- Ensure optimal Vitamin D status – Our current conventional guidelines define a vitamin D deficiency as below 50nmol/L – however, if you are below 75 nmol/L you are twice as likely to get a respiratory tract infection and 3 times as likely if your levels are below 50 nmol/L. Supplementation can certainly be useful if you are located in Melbourne throughout Winter to reduce the incidence of infection. NB: Supplementation should always be under the guidance of your practitioner.
- DIY Immune booster
- 1 x tsp honey (manuka if you have it)
- 1 x clove garlic crushed
- 1x kiwi fruit
Mix together and leave for 15-30 minutes for enzymes to activate – then enjoy! This is a surprisingly tasty at home antimicrobial and vitamin C immune booster, even the kids love this!
- Reduce mucus forming foods during active infection – Reducing or eliminating foods from your diet that are mucous producing, such as dairy and wheat can help stop the nose from feeling runny and clogged . Additionally, vitamins such as A, E and D are beneficial for immunity and healthy mucous membranes. Food sources include: carrots, eggs, oily fish, green leafy vegetables, sweet potatoes and almonds.
Do you need extra immunity support? You can book an appointment with Freya here…
Do you need more guidance on your wellness journey?
Book an appointment with one of our practitioners here